Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Happy Solstice

Today we read my favorite book about the first day of winter, called The Shortest Day:  Celebrating The Winter Solstice.  I love how it told of the different ways the world has celebrated and recorded this particular seasonal change.  The illustrations were beautiful, and there are actual experiments noted in the back, like measuring the length of a shadow like the Chinese did over 3,000 years ago.

We were lucky enough to have a dusting of snow, and a snowball fight!



We sang the Birthday Celebration song, with a twist ending for today.  If you have a candle and a globe, you can travel while you sing.  Be sure the child only travels 1/4 of the way around the sun, one trip around would be one year.

The Earth goes 'round the sun
The Earth goes 'round the sun


It takes twelve months, fifty-two weeks, three hundred sixty-five days.
And now it's winter (we ring a bell, our favorite from the Christmas Tree).

Here is a link to a wonderful site about this day:

www.candlegrove.com/solstice.html

7 comments:

Mommy Moment said...

Your blog is wonderful and your daughters are adorable!

I can not wait to start back up with our Montessori activities in the new year. I am so glad our home renovations are coming to an end!

I just wanted you to know that I will be featuring your blog on Sunday. I am happy to be following you!
Merry Christmas!

Jody

The Education Of Ours said...

Wow, Jody! You made my day, I can't wait to see it. Please let me know if you need me to do anything.

Off to roll some sugar cookie! Merry Christmas!

Jessie

Leptir said...

Dear Jessie, Merry Christmas to you and your family!
Nataša

The Education Of Ours said...

Merry Christmas, Natasa!

Leptir said...

Jessie, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

PS I have a little blog award for you here:
http://leptir-mojpribor.blogspot.com/2010/12/award-your-blog-is-fabulous.html

The Sunshine Crew said...

Hi Jessie,
I tried to grab your new button to add to my blog roll. When I tried to replace your old button with the new one, I kept getting an error. I don't know enough about html to know if it had something to do with me replacing it or with your html on your new snowpeople button, but wanted to check to see if anyone else has had a problem with getting your new button to work on their blog.
I will call and ask Jody if you don't know, as she might.Speaking of Jody, she told me the awesome news!!! Congrats on that! Happy for both of you as I love both of your blogs.
Well, hope you had a nice day today.
Hope to get your cute button on my blog today too:)

The Education Of Ours said...

Oh dear, I'm still learning how to write html. I'll fix that tonight; thanks for telling me. I had no idea.

I'm so excited and very humbled by the chance to write at Mommy Moment. This year is shaping up to be one to remember. I'm going to call my Mom :)