Saturday, October 8, 2011

Commutative Property with The Addition Strip Board

Addition Strip Board Set Up.  

 This time, she let her little sisters set it up for her.  "Once you know all your numerals, you can do this work!  Okay?"  They were happy to be involved.  I showed her an example of Commutative Property, 1+3=4 AND 3+1=4   Look at that! What a discovery ;)


She tries another.....4+2 AND 2+4= 6  "Wait until my teacher finds out this secret, she's going to be surprised."  She's so entertaining!


Now she explores the idea.  She made all of the Commutative Property equations.  When I presented it, I showed it to her as a 'trick"....now she has this knowledge for future math work.  


7+1=8 AND 1+7=8


One happy girl!  

5 comments:

Montessori At Home! said...

Hi Jessie, this will look great in the Montessori Mom Bloggers ebook!

Deb Chitwood said...

I always loved the addition strip board - and I love your daughter's responses! Thanks so much for linking up with Montessori Monday. I featured your post at the Living Montessori Now Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/LivingMontessoriNow. I agree with John that it will look great in the ebook!

raj kumar said...

There are four mathematical properties which involve addition. The properties are the commutative, associative, additive identity and distributive properties.Commutative property of addition : When two numbers are added, the sum is the same regardless of the order of the addends. For example 4 + 2 = 2 + 4

Ms. Mikell said...

I love this activity. I teach in a preschool in public school but love the Montessori approach. I have some students who are really starting to get addition and are ready for something like this. Do you have instructions on making this or where I can get these materials?

Jessie, The Education Of Ours said...

You can buy these materials used from other teachers, or order them from Montessori material catalogs. I know there's a printable version out there. For this work, I've seen it made with legos :)